Glazed Lemon Cookies
- Yield: 5 dozen
It is important to apply the glaze to the cookies when they are still very warm so it will spread easily and thinly.
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon grated lemon zest plus extra for garnish
- 1cup (2 sticks) margarine
- 2-- eggs
- 1tablespoon plus 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix flour, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, margarine, eggs and 1 tablespoon lemon juice with electric mixer at low speed until well blended, scraping the bowl frequently. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until the edges are light brown.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice in a small bowl. Spread over warm cookies and garnish with additional lemon zest, if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy’s The Kosher Palette II(Livingston, New Jersey, 2006).