Glazed Apple Bars
- Yield: 2 dozens
- 1/2cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1medium chopped red apple, such as Gala, peeled if desired
- 1cup raisins
- 1cup chopped pecans
- 1/4cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2tablespoons warm 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- To prepare bars, cream butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed. Add salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and egg; beat until well blended.
- Combine 1 cup flour and baking soda in a bowl; add to butter mixture. Stir in apple, raisins and pecans by hand. Add milk and remaining flour; mix well. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until light brown. Cool 10 minutes.
- To prepare glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and salt in a bowl; mix well. Spread glaze over cooled bars and cut to serve. Makes 2 dozen bars.
Recipe by Donna Roberts, Shumway, Ill.