Glazed Almond Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup ground almonds
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2cups sugar
- 4-- eggs
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2teaspoons almond extract
- 1cup milk
- 1/4cup milk
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2cup sliced almonds, toasted
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and ground almonds together. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat in the dry ingredients with the milk; do not overmix. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze, beat the milk, sugar, almond extract and sliced almonds in a bowl until well mixed.
- Slide a piece of waxed paper under the rack. Pour the glaze over the warm cake.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Par 3: Tea Time at the Masters (the Junior League of Augusta, Ga., 2005).