Gingered Peach Crisp
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Minced crystallized ginger elevates a simple summer crisp from "nice" to "spice."
If you're not a ginger fan, simply omit it. Serve warm with vanilla or peach ice cream or frozen yogurt or whipped cream.
- -- 1 recipe Peach Filling
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- -- Nonstick spray
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into dice-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoon finely minced crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (old-fashioned rolled oats)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 11 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick coating.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the liquid from the Peach Filling and cornstarch; mix with fingers until combined. Stir cornstarch mixture into remaining peach filling, distributing it thoroughly. Pour peach mixture into prepared dish.
- In the food processor combine sugar, butter, oil and vanilla. Process until well combined, scraping sides of processor, until smooth. Add flour, salt, spices and ginger. Pulse until crumbly and well mixed. Add nuts and oatmeal, and pulse quickly 10 times.
- Sprinkle oat mixture over peaches, distributing it evenly. Press down slightly with your hands. Bake 45 minutes or until topping is brown and fruit bubbles. Serve warm.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.