Gingered Buffalo Burgers with Jicama
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 7 mins
Diced jicama adds crunch inside the burger and, when combined with lime juice, red pepper and cilantro, a bright note atop the burger.
Jicama, big on nutrition and low on calories, can be found in most supermarkets. Look for a very firm example with no soft spots or wrinkles.
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienne
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground buffalo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup finely diced peeled jicama
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or white wine
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 baguette, sliced open
- To prepare salsa, combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- To prepare burger patties, combine buffalo, ginger, jicama, garlic, sherry, soy sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Form into 6 patties about 3⁄4-inch thick. Place on a tray lined with plastic wrap, cover with more plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to cook. (Patties may be prepared 1 day ahead).
- Preheat grill until hot. Place patties on the grill rack over coals and cook, covered, about 4 minutes. Flip, cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until done. Place patties on baguette bottoms; top with jicama salsa and baguette tops.
Recipe by Greg Patent.