Gluten-Free Gingerbread Pancakes
- Yield servings
What better wintertime breakfast could there possibly be? The best part of the recipe is that it delivers on all your gingerbread fantasies in a quick and easy way that sidesteps the comparative fuss of pulling together a full gingerbread loaf.
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free baking flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, xanthan gum, cardamom, and cloves. Add the applesauce, 1/2 cup of coconut oil, agave nectar, molasses, rice milk, and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula until the batter is smooth.
- In a large nonstick skillet or a griddle over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup pancake batter into the pan for each pancake. Using the back of a rubber spatula spread the batter to make a 4-inch pancake. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes more, or until the center bounces back when tapped and the edges are browned. Transfer the pancakes to a warm plate and repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with the Agave Maple Syrup.
Reprinted with permission from Babycakes Covers the Classics by Erin Mckenna. © The Crown Publishing Group 2011