Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men
- Yield servings
These cookies are sturdy, crisp, not-too-sweet, and quite tasty. Make them as gingersnaps year-round.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- - Icing (for gingerbread men)
- 2 tablespoons Sugar (for gingersnaps)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the shortening, sugar, and molasses. Beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining batter ingredients and beat well. The batter will form a soft dough; continue to beat it for about 30 seconds after it forms, to stabilize the dough.
- For gingerbread men, roll out the dough on a lightly greased surface to 1⁄8-inch thickness. Cut with a cookie cutter and place the cookies on the prepared pan.
- For gingersnaps, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough on the prepared pan and press to just under 1⁄4-inch thickness. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 8 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
- The cookies will crisp during cooling. Let cool on wire racks. Decorate with icing and candies as desired.
From the book The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.