Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men
- Yield: servings
- 1/3cup shortening
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 3/4cup brown rice flour
- 3/4cup sorghum flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1whole egg
- - Icing (for gingerbread men)
- 2tablespoons Sugar (for gingersnaps)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the shortening, sugar, and molasses. Beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining batter ingredients and beat well. The batter will form a soft dough; continue to beat it for about 30 seconds after it forms, to stabilize the dough.
- For gingerbread men, roll out the dough on a lightly greased surface to 1⁄8-inch thickness. Cut with a cookie cutter and place the cookies on the prepared pan.
- For gingersnaps, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough on the prepared pan and press to just under 1⁄4-inch thickness. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 8 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
- The cookies will crisp during cooling. Let cool on wire racks. Decorate with icing and candies as desired.
From the book The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.