Gingerbread Banana Chocolate Chunk Bundt Cake
- Yield 18 to 20 servings
A sweet, spicy cake full of aromatics.
- Cake Batter:
- 3 tablespoons chopped ginger root
- 1/4 cup ginger ale or water
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce, chunky or smooth
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole-wheat flour plus 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Splenda granular sweetner
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- Rum Glaze:
- 1 cup Splenda
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Puree ginger root with ginger ale. Combine molasses, applesauce, oil, maple syrup, eggs and ginger root puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, spices, chocolate and bananas in a bowl and add to molasses mixture. Mix well.
- Spray a standard 9-inch Bundt pan with no-stick cooking spray and pour batter into pan. Bake in center of oven 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean and dry. If cake appears to be browning too much, lightly cover with a piece of foil. Unmold by placing a plate over cake and lightly tapping. Serve warm with or without glaze.
- To make glaze: Boil Splenda and water together 10 to 12 minutes to form a syrup. Add rum and continue simmering 2 minutes. Pour over cake before slicing and serving.