Ginger Tempura Chicken and Watercress Salad With Creamy Lemongrass Dressing
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2pound chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- Creamy Lemongrass Dressing
- 3/4cup mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1clove clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4teaspoon Asian fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 1/4teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4cup fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon sugar
- Tempura Batter
- 1cup flour
- 1teaspoon ginger
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup lime-flavored seltzer water
- 3cups canola oil, for frying
- 8cups watercress, arugula or mixed salad greens
- 1cup diced fresh or canned pineapple
- 1/2cup shelled pistachio nuts, toasted
- Slice chicken into ¾-inch strips horizontally across the breast. Set aside. In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients for lemongrass dressing; pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- In large saucepan or deep fryer, place oil and heat oil to 350 F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for tempura batter. Dip each piece of chicken into batter, allowing excess to drip off. Gently lower battered chicken into hot oil and fry for 2 ½ – 3 minutes, turning once during cooking. Chicken will need to be cooked in a few batches, as pieces should not touch. (Chicken will not brown; it will remain a pale tan color.) Remove chicken to paper towels to drain.
- In large serving bowl, place salad green, pineapple pieces and pistachios. Add dressing and toss well to coat. Place chicken over greens and sprinkle with toasted pistachios.