Ginger Pumpkin Tomato Soup
- Yield servings
A chicken broth based soup, made with Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, fresh pumpkin, and dried ginger
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 cups chicken brother (more if needed)
- 1 14-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- sour cream, for garnish
- chopped flat leaf parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven, or heavy skillet, over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Sprinkle dried ginger on top, and saute for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, and bring to a low boil. Meanwhile, puree canned tomatoes (with juice) in a blender or food processor. Stir this and pumpkin into broth mixture, and simmer for about 20 minutes. If soup is too thick, add more broth. Season to taste with pepper, and garnish with sour cream and parsley.
Tips from Our Test Kitchen: This recipe also will work with fresh pureed pumpkin. Adjust ginger to your taste.
—Erin Renouf Mylroie, St. George, Utah