Ginger Pudding Parfaits with Lemon Madeleines
- Yield: servings
- 3cups 1% milk, divided
- 1/3cup finely chopped crystallized ginger, plus more for garnish
- 2/3cup sugar
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 3large egg yolks
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1teaspoon lemon zest
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 lemon zest madeleines
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk and crystallized ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Whisk together until well blended. Slowly add one-fourth of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Go very slowly so you don’t accidentally cook the eggs.
- Pour back in with the milk mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, cooking for 1 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring constantly. Remove mixture from heat, stir in butter, zest, and vanilla. Pour into a bowl or large glass measuring cup, cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap. Chill at least 4 hours.
- If using four small glasses to serve, place 1/2 cup ginger pudding in the bottom of each glass and top with 2 crushed madeleines each. Add another half cup pudding and top with a whole madeleine and sprinkle with some crystallized ginger pieces.
Recipe by Ryan, Ryan’s Baking Blog