Ginger-Lime Slow-Roasted Carrots
- Yield: 4 servings
Rainbow carrots, if you can find them, make this simple side look especially pretty, and are a hit with little girls. There are enough interesting flavors happening here to grab my attention, like ginger and lime, and the maple syrup brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots to keep the kids happy.
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lime
- Sea salt
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and stems discarded
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC).
- Add the ginger, syrup, oil, lime zest, and salt to a small bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste. Beat with a fork to mix well.
- Arrange the carrots in a 9-inch x 13-inch (22-cm x 33-cm) roasting pan. Pour the ginger-oil mixture over them, tossing the carrots to coat them well. Bake until tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. They taste great served hot, room temperature, or even cold.
Size Matters: Thin carrots are best for this dish, since they cook more quickly and look pretty on the plate when presented whole. No worries, though, if all you can get are thicker ones. Just cut them into 1/2-inch thick coins before roasting.
Reprinted with permission from Jennifer Perillo’s Homemade with Love (Running Press, 2013).