Ginger Lime Loaf
- Yield 4-6 servings
- Cook 50 minutes
Spicy loaf topped with a heaping spread of tangy icing.
"Gran has continued to update her baking—this is a favourite she has discovered in recent years." —Natalie Oldfield, cookbook author and granddaughter to Dulcie May Booker
- 9 ounces butter
- 2/3 cup golden (light corn) syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup plain yoghurt
- Lime Icing:
- 2 cups icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lime rind
For the loaf:
- Melt butter and golden syrup, add sugar, ginger and lime rind. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Sift flours together.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yoghurt.
- Add both liquid mixtures to the flour alternately; be careful not to over-beat the mixture.
- Pour into tin and bake for 50 minutes at 350F.
For the icing:
- Mix together sifted icing (confectioners’) sugar and butter, lime juice and rind and spread over cool loaf.
—Reprinted with permission from Gran’s Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker (Hardie Grant, 2013).