Ginger Lime Loaf
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Cook: 50 minutes
"Gran has continued to update her baking—this is a favourite she has discovered in recent years." —Natalie Oldfield, cookbook author and granddaughter to Dulcie May Booker
- 9ounces butter
- 2/3cup golden (light corn) syrup
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 2tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1tablespoon lime rind
- 1cup plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4cup plain yoghurt
- Lime Icing:
- 2cups icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/4teaspoon butter, melted
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4teaspoon lime rind
For the loaf:
- Melt butter and golden syrup, add sugar, ginger and lime rind. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Sift flours together.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yoghurt.
- Add both liquid mixtures to the flour alternately; be careful not to over-beat the mixture.
- Pour into tin and bake for 50 minutes at 350F.
For the icing:
- Mix together sifted icing (confectioners’) sugar and butter, lime juice and rind and spread over cool loaf.
—Reprinted with permission from Gran’s Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker (Hardie Grant, 2013).