Ginger Chicken Patties with Curried Pumpkin
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 2 tablespoons cup mango chutney, any chunks chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk, light or regular
- 1 -- lime, juiced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided use
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided use
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper, include seeds and ribs for more heat
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup dried fine bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups "heat and serve" brown rice, warmed
- -- Garnishes: 3 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds*, 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the pumpkin puree, curry powder, allspice and chutney. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the coconut milk and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Keep sauce warm.
Melt the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and peppers. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, vegetables, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, eggs, and ginger. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, about 1/2 cup each, and form them into round 1/2-inch thick cakes or patties.
In a large saute pan with high sides heat 2-tablespoons olive oil to medium-hot. Gently lay the cakes in the oil and fry until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Combine the coconut and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
Serve by spooning the rice onto a serving platter and sprinkling rice with coconut salt. Place chicken cakes side by side across rice and drizzle with pumpkin sauce. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and green onions. So delicious.
* Can be purchased toasted or raw and then toasted in dry saute pan over medium heat.