Ginger Cherry Quinoa
- Yield 4 servings
Heart healthy quinoa is sautéed with shallots and fresh ginger.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Place the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, shaking the pan every 30 seconds, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the pine nuts become fragrant. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and ginger and sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the quinoa to the saucepan, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute more. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- Let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in the dried cherries and pine nuts. Season to with salt and pepper to taste, top with parsley.