Chicken Burgers Asian BBQ
- Yield: servings
- 20-- seedless cucumber slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- 2teaspoons natural rice vinegar
- 1teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon grated lime zest
- 4teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 3/4cup chopped sweet onion
- 3tablespoons peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1tablespoon grated fresh garlic
- 1/2cup ketchup
- 1/4cup hoisin sauce
- 2teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/4pounds ground chicken (coarsely ground thigh meat)
- 1/3cup chopped fresh basil
- 4teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- -- cooking spray
- 4-- sesame seed bakery style buns, split
Place cucumber slices in a small bowl and toss with rice vinegar, lime juice, and lime zest. Set aside.
Place canola oil and toasted sesame oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add onion. Cook until onion is translucent. Add in ginger and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Reserve 1/3 of onion mixture in a small bowl. Reduce heat to low and stir in ketchup, hoisin sauce and soy sauce to remaining onion mixture in skillet. Heat until sauce is hot. Keep warm.
Combine chicken, reserved onion mixture, basil, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper in a medium mixing bowl and mix together. Form mixture into 4 patties sized to fit the buns, taking care not to compact the meat.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add patties to hot skillet and cook 10-12 minutes, or until done, turning once during cooking.
Heat the broiler to high. Place buns, cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet and place under broiler to toast lightly.
To assemble burgers, spread sauce on cut sides of buns. Top bottom buns with cucumber slices, a patty and bun tops. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings