Ginger Apple Stir-Fry
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2medium apples, cored and sliced
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/3pound pea pods
- 1small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2tablespoons ginger, minced
- 10 shiitake and/or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/3cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3cup chicken broth or water
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat sesame oil in nonstick skillet or wok. Add garlic and ginger, and stir for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and cook in hot oil. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add vegetables and cook while stirring until tender crisp, sprinkle with pepper.
- Combine applesauce, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and chicken broth or water.
- Add chicken to vegetables, add sauce mixture and cook until sauce is thickened and clear.
- Add apples during last five minutes of preparation. Serve over steamed brown rice.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 580mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 28g