Gigi Oat and Chocolate Bars
- Yield servings
"These Gigi Oat and Chocolate Bar recipe is from my mom. I grew up on them. They are best fresh from the oven."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups uncooked quick oats
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the oats, and mix well. Press two-thirds of the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the filling, melt the chocolate with the milk, butter, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Remove from the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted. Pour over the batter in the baking pan. Sprinkle the top with the nuts. Crumble the remaining batter over the filling. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the batter is golden brown. Cut into squares when cooled.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: These decadent bars freeze well.
Recipe by Carrie A. Wourms, Calumet, Minn.