Giant Mexican Submarine Sandwich
- Yield 8 servings
Thinly sliced red onions, green bell peppers, tomatoes and jimaca are layered over Spicy Black Bean Dip that’s spread on a 3-foot long loaf of Italian bread.
- 2 cups Spicy Black Bean Dip
- 1 (3-foot-long) loaf Italian or French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 small jicama* bulb, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup commercially prepared or homemade salsa
- 4 ounces Jack or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Spread the Spicy Black Bean Dip on the bottom and top of the bread. On the bottom half of the bread loaf, layer the vegetables, spread with salsa and top with cheese. Place top of bread loaf on sandwich. Place a large baking sheet atop the sandwich and top with weights such as unopened cans. Let the sandwich rest with the weights on top for about 1 hour. Open to add lettuce. Close, cut and serve.