German Sour Cream Twists
- Yield: 2 dozen
- Prep: 45 minutes
- Cook: 12 minutes
- 1-- (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4cup warm water (110F to 115F)
- 3 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup shortening
- 1/3cup cold butter
- 1-- egg
- 2-- egg yolks
- 3/4cup sour cream
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- -- Coarse salt
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 3/4cup turbinado sugar
- 4cups powdered sugar
- 1/3cup half-and-half
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Place 3 ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine granulated sugar and turbinado sugar. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the sugars over a clean work surface. Place half the dough on top of sugared surface and roll into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle. (Refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use.) Sprinkle with 4 teaspoons of the sugars and a bit of coarse salt; fold into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into 12 (1-inch wide) strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets.
- Repeat with remaining sugars and dough.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine powdered sugar and cream. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists.
Orange Variation: Add 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind to the dough with the vanilla. Use 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in place of the cream in the glaze.