German Sour Cream Twists
- Yield 2 dozen
- Prep 45 minutes
- Cook 12 minutes
- 1 -- (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110F to 115F)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 -- egg
- 2 -- egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- -- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Place 3 ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine granulated sugar and turbinado sugar. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the sugars over a clean work surface. Place half the dough on top of sugared surface and roll into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle. (Refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use.) Sprinkle with 4 teaspoons of the sugars and a bit of coarse salt; fold into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into 12 (1-inch wide) strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets.
- Repeat with remaining sugars and dough.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine powdered sugar and cream. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists.
Orange Variation: Add 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind to the dough with the vanilla. Use 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in place of the cream in the glaze.