German Chocolate Cake Squares
- Yield 60 servings
All the classic flavors of German Chocolate Cake without the fuss.
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Chocolate Icing:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven 350F. Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Line baking pan with waxed paper and an additional coat of nonstick spray. Layer pecans and coconut over top of baking pan.
- Prepare cake mix with water, then add oil, eggs and egg whites according to instructions. Spoon batter evenly over the layer of pecans and coconut.
- Bake 15-18 minutes. Cake should spring bake when pressed.
- For icing mix butter, cocoa, confectioners sugar, vanilla and coconut extracts, adding milk gradually until consistency is thickened and creamy. Spread over cake.