German Chocolate Brownies
- Yield 16 pieces
These brownies will satisfy your craving for chocolate.
- 1 -- (4-ounce) package German Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -- eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour, not sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 -- (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- Melt chocolate and margarine and cool. Beat 2 eggs with 1 teaspoon vanilla in bowl and add 3/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until thick. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and add to egg mixture, mixing well. Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and nuts and set aside. Cream together cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Blend in 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread half of chocolate mixture in greased and floured 8x8x2-inch pan. Pour cream cheese mixture on top. Drop spoonfuls of remaining chocolate mixture on cream cheese mixture. With small spatula, swirl through layers to marble. Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 mintues. Cut into squares when completely cooled.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Newnan Junior Service League’s A Taste of Georgia; Another Serving (Junior Service League, Newnan, Ga., 1994).