German Chocolate Bars
- Yield: 24 servings
"I got this recipe for German chocolate bars from my nephew's wife. Any time I take these to a gathering of any kind I never come home with any leftovers. Simple enough for a child to make!"
- 1 (18-ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1/2cup butter, melted
- 2/3cup evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) bag caramels
- 3/4cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Mix together the cake mix, butter, and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk. Press half of this dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Unwrap the caramels, and place them in a saucepan. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk, and stir constantly over low heat until the caramels are melted.
- Remove the baked dough from the oven, and pour the melted caramels evenly over it. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and nuts. Crumble the remaining dough over the caramel layer. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
Try substituting pecans or semi-sweet chocolate chips to suit your taste.
Recipe by Jenny Kaun, Reedsburg, Wis.