German Chocolate Angel Pie
- Yield 8 servings
A reduced-fat, super easy chocolate pie.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German Sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy texture appears. Add sugar by 2 tablespoon additions, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 tablespoon vanilla. Transfer mixture to pie pan, create a nest shape, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Microwave chocolate in water for 1 minute and stir until smoothly melted. Cool then add remaining vanilla. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate. Transfer to meringue shell, freeze and allow some thawing time before serving.