- 3large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German Sweet chocolate
- 3tablespoons water
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy texture appears. Add sugar by 2 tablespoon additions, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 tablespoon vanilla. Transfer mixture to pie pan, create a nest shape, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Microwave chocolate in water for 1 minute and stir until smoothly melted. Cool then add remaining vanilla. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate. Transfer to meringue shell, freeze and allow some thawing time before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Eating Well Through Cancer (Holly Clegg, 2016). For more from Holly, follow along at her website, Trim & Terrific.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 198
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 109mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 2g