German Chocolate Angel Pie
- Yield 8 servings
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German Sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 tablespoon vanilla. Spoon into 9-inch lightly greased glass pie plate and form nest-like shell. Bake 45 minutes. Let cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in water for 1 minute; stir until melted. Let cool. Add remaining 1teaspoon vanilla. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate. Spoon into meringue shell. Freeze. Thaw slightly to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).