German Apple Cake
- Yield 16 servings
"This cake recipe was given to me by my great-aunt during a visit to her home in Germany. She doesn't know who originally developed it, as it has been passed down in our family for many generations."
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 7 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a tube pan.
- Mix together cinnamon and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add orange juice, oil and eggs. Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour half the batter into a tube pan. Top with half the apples and sprinkle with one-third the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Pour on remaining batter. Sprinkle on half the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Top with remaining apples and remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover loosely with foil if top is becoming too brown during last 30 minutes. Let cool about 1 hour before slicing.
Recipe by Debbie Johnston, Catonsville, Md.