Geppetto’s Garlic Parmesan Rolls
- Yield 24 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Yeast rolls, best served warm, are slathered in pure olive oil to enrich the garlicky goodness.
Purchased peeled garlic is a huge time-saver for this recipe.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water (105F to 115F)
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup diced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Let the stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups bread flour and salt. Whisk vigorously until smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining bread and all-purpose flours, 1/2 cup at a time, using a wooden spoon. The dough will form a shaggy mass and clear sides of bowl.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, adding more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, as necessary, until dough is soft, silky and resilient. It should not be sticky.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled in bulk, 1/2 to 2 hours. (At this point, dough can be punched down and placed in the refrigerator to rise again overnight.)
- Portion dough into 2-ounce rolls (about the size of a golf ball) and place on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. (You can also shape the dough into three 16-ounce loaves if desired.) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare topping, combine olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and oregano in a bowl until blended. Remove plastic wrap from rolls. Spoon topping over each roll.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Geppetto’s, Anacortes, Wash.