Gene’s Bean Medley
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"This bean medley is a family favorite and is nutritious and inexpensive. It's great served with cornbread."
- 1medium red onion, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2stalks celery, diced
- 2tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4teaspoon thyme
- 2cups tomato sauce
- 1/2cup water
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, saute onion, garlic and celery in 2 tablespoons bacon grease until tender-crisp. Rinse and drain beans. Put all ingredients together in pan. Stir occasionally over medium heat for about 1 hour.
Recipe by Gene Herzog, Green Valley, Ariz.