- Yield: servings
- 6ounces day-old crusty bread (baguette) in pieces
- 4cups of very cold water, divided
- 8ounces whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 to 4tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 8ounces sliced chilled green grapes
- Soak bread in water 2 cups in a large bowl to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Grind almonds as finely as possible in a food processor. Add only enough cold water (a few tablespoons) to form a paste. Add garlic.
- Squeeze excess water from bread and add to almond paste. Process until smooth.
- Add oil and remaining water. Blend to form a very smooth, creamy soup. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Adjust seasonings just before serving. Serve chilled and garnish with slices of grapes and a drizzle of olive oil. Serves 6.
Recipe courtesy of Martin Booe.