Gazpacho in a Gallon Jar
- Yield 8-10 servings
This recipe was given to my daughter many years ago. It is the best gazpacho I've ever eaten and makes a wonderful summer meal; it's so cool and refreshing.
- 1 (46-ounce) can tomato or V-8 juice
- 1 (16-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 each red, yellow, and green bell peppers
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 5 or 6 6 celery stalks
- 1 sweet onion or 2 bunches green onions (including green tops)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes (preferably cherry or grape)
- 4 to 6 avocados
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a gallon jar.
- Chop vegetables and add to juice mixture. Refrigerate. Serve cold with crackers or chips.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This delicious summer soup also is good with chopped cilantro, a dash of hot sauce, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Recipe by Marny Flood, Albuquerque, N.M.