Garlicky Pumpkin and Broccoli
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
This Italian dish combines pumpkin chunks with broccoli in a garlic and red pepper-scented sauté.
To cook the pumpkin, cut in half, scoop out seeds (save and roast to use as a garnish or eat out of hand), and place cut side down in a pan of water. Bake at 400F until tender. Scoop out pulp with a spoon and cut into chunks; discard skin. Butternut squash works just as well as pumpkin.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups large broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups cooked pumpkin chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil and red pepper flakes in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until oil starts to sputter and darken slightly.
- Add broccoli and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to high; pour in 1/3 cup of water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, steam 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Scatter garlic and baked pumpkin chunks over broccoli; stir well. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese melts.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon