Garlic Sautéed Mushrooms
- Yield: 4 servings
In the food world, this is called a “duxelle,” a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms, shallots and herbs that serves as a versatile filling or topping for lots of foods.
- 1tablespoon butter
- 8ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides. Add mushrooms and sauté until they begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; cook until about half the liquid evaporates, 6 to 8 minutes more.