Garlic Lentil Hummus
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup (about 6 ounces) lentils
- 3cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1 to 3tablespoon almond milk, milk or water
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Pita bread, carrot sticks, bell pepper strips, asparagus, green onions, sliced fennel for serving
- Combine lentils, broth, and 1 garlic clove in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Uncover and boil over high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor. Chop remaining garlic clove and add to processor along with olive oil, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon almond milk. Purée until smooth; add more almond milk to reach desired consistency. Scrape hummus into a serving bowl and stir in chopped cilantro. Serve warm or chilled. Makes 1 1/2 cups.