Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
- Yield: servings
'These slightly chewy breadsticks have a great cheesy flavor. My eight grandkids always want me to double the recipe just for them. It's a joy to see them eat them.'
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4cup sesame seeds
- 1package dry active yeast
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup water
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1tablespoon honey
- 2tablespoons dry parsley flakes
- 1tablespoon dry crushed basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sesame seeds, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water, 1 tablespoon oil and honey to 120 degrees. Add to dry ingredients and beat until just moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 15-by-10-by-1-inch baking pan. Roll dough into a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking pan. Press dough to edges of pan. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with parsley, basil and garlic. Cover and let rise in warm place for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer to melt cheese. Cut into 20 strips. Serve warm. Yield: 20 sticks
—Gwen Swanson, Pukwana, SD