Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
- Yield servings
These yeast breadsticks are sprinkled with parsley, basil and garlic.
'These slightly chewy breadsticks have a great cheesy flavor. My eight grandkids always want me to double the recipe just for them. It's a joy to see them eat them.'
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dry crushed basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sesame seeds, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water, 1 tablespoon oil and honey to 120 degrees. Add to dry ingredients and beat until just moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 15-by-10-by-1-inch baking pan. Roll dough into a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking pan. Press dough to edges of pan. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with parsley, basil and garlic. Cover and let rise in warm place for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer to melt cheese. Cut into 20 strips. Serve warm. Yield: 20 sticks
—Gwen Swanson, Pukwana, SD