Garden Tomato Pie
- Yield 8-10 servings
Chopped tomatoes and crumbled bacon fill a delicious pie, tall topped with melted cheddar cheese
"I was looking through someof my late mother's recipes and remembered that she made this tomato pie for my dad when he was alive. I was a little girl and remembered how good it was. I really like tomaotes, and maybe this is why I just happened to run across the recipe again. Hope you enjoy."
- 1 9-inch frozen deep-dish pie shell, baked and cooled
- 2 large tomatoes (green or red), peeled and thickly sliced (or enough to fill pie shell)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fill pie shell with tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, basil, chives, and bacon.
- Mix mayonnaise and cheese. Spread over tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
—Betty Thompson, La Porte, Texas