- Yield 4 servings
Raisins add a pleasant sweetness that pairs well with the tart capers in this vegetarian version of a Cuban classic. Serve with simple yellow rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -- (16-ounce) block chopped firm tofu or 1 (12-ounce) package soy cumbles
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup raisins
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a nonreactive large saucepan. Saute onions, peppers, garlic, oregano and cumin 2 minutes until softened. Add tofu or soy crumbles and saute 1 minute longer. Add marinara sauce, water, capers and raisins, if using, to pan. Simmer 15 minutes and season with salt and pepper.