Garden Pasta Lentil Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup (about 6 ounces) lentils
- 3cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2pound whole-greain rotini pasta
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/3cup chopped fresh mint or basil
- 4ounces aged Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- Combine lentils, broth ad bay leaf, in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and discard bay leaf; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Combine pasta with green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, cheese and cooked lentils. Pour dressing over salad, toss gently and top with eggs.