Garden Pasta Lentil Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Use any combination of garden vegetables for this simple entrée salad. Protein-rich toppings like cheese and hard-cooed eggs add kid-friendly appeal. For an impressive side salad, slice 1/2 inch off the top of 6 to 8 tomatoes and hollow out, adding tomato-insides to salad ingredients; serve salad inside the tomatoes.
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) lentils
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1/2 pound whole-greain rotini pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -- green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 -- tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -- cucumber, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint or basil
- 4 ounces aged Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 -- hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- Combine lentils, broth ad bay leaf, in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and discard bay leaf; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Combine pasta with green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, cheese and cooked lentils. Pour dressing over salad, toss gently and top with eggs.