Garden Corn and Black Bean Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 ears corn, shucked, or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces (green part only)
- 1/2cup chopped red onions
- 3/4cup bottled reduced-calorie Italian salad dressing
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro, or parsley
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- To prepare salad, cut kernels off ears of corn. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and jalapeno. Cook until the corn is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Stir in black beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green and red onions.
- To prepare dressing, combine bottled dressing, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cumin, Tabasco and salt in a jar. Secure lid and shake to blend. Pour over corn mixture, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, toss lightly and transfer to a salad bowl lined with lettuce leaves, if desired. Serves 8.
— Ellen Russell, LeMars, Iowa