Galette des Rois
- Yield: servings
- 10ounces marzipan (60% almond paste, 40% sugar)
- 2tablespoons softened butter
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1teaspoon rum
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pastry Construction:
- 1 porcelain figurine, large dried bean or almond nut
- 2 sheets puff pastry (from one 17 oz. package), thawed
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
- powdered sugar
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets to erase the creases and cut two 10-inch circles. Chill pastry dough. Meanwhile, beat together marzipan, butter, sugar, flour, eggs, rum, and vanilla until smooth to create the frangipane filling.
- Spread the frangipane over one of the pastry circles, leaving a one-inch border. Press the bean into the filling. Moisten the border with water, then place the second circle over and press to seal the border. Pierce the top layer in a few places to allow steam to vent during baking, and brush top with egg wash.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and continue baking 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. (Don’t open the oven door during the first half of the baking period; the pastry dough needs sustained heat in order to rise, and cool drafts could deflate the glorious puff!) Let galette cool, then dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe by Erica Sommermann, Apricosa