Funky Funghi Pizzas
- Yield 2 servings
Your family will love this pita-style pizza, and its stuffed with healthy vegetables.
- 1 (7- to 8-inch) pocket-style pita bread
- 4 to 6 tablespoons simple tomato sauce (drained, canned whole tomatoes roughly chopped and cooked down to ketchup-consistency with 2 cloves minced garlic and a handful of roughly chopped fresh basil)
- 2 cups finely sliced mushrooms any fresh variety (shiitake, cremini, oyster, king oyster), fried in olive oil and drained on a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons diced orange peppers
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow peppers
- 3 slices bacon, finely diced and fried
- Finely sliced pepperoni
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely sliced
- Olive oil and cracked black pepper to finish
- Preheat oven broiler to high.
- Using a bread knife carefully cut through the middle splitting the pita to form two rounds.
- Toast pita rounds (under the broiler) cut side down for a minute or two. The bottom should start to feel a bit crispy but not burnt.
- Spread the sauce over each pita, cut side up. Squish the larger chunks of tomato down with the back of a spoon so the sauce spreads to the edge of the pita bread.
- Spread toppings evenly over pita breads and top with cheese and basil.
- Place under pre-heated broiler until cheese starts to bubble. Remove pizzas from heat and top with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper. Cut into quarters with a pizza cutter and enjoy.