Fudgy Vegan Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Cook 23 minutes
Rich, fudgy and completely vegan chocolate brownies.
You’ll get plenty of “brownie points” for these soft, fudgy, and rich chocolate treats studded with chocolate chunks or chips. —Fran Costigan
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup organic whole cane sugar, ground in a blender until powdered
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or organic cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mild tasting extra-virgin olive oil or an organic neutral vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, Grade B or dark amber
- 1/4 cup any nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or mini chunks, heaping
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts or mixed nuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350F. Oil an 8 x 8-inch pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Do not oil paper.
- Place wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add all-purpose flour, pastry flour, cocoa, granulated sugar, whole cane sugar, arrowroot or cornstarch, baking powder, and salt to the strainer and stir with a whisk to sift the ingredients into the bowl. If any small bits remain in the strainer, add to mixture in the bowl. Whisk to aerate the mixture.
- Whisk oil, maple syrup, nondairy milk, vanilla and chocolate extract, if using, in separate medium bowl until completely combined. Pour into dry ingredients and mix with a silicone spatula until batter, which will be thick, is smooth. Allow batter to rest for ten minutes.
- Stir chocolate chips and nuts, if using, into batter. Spoon batter into the prepared pan, and sprea an even layer with a metal spatula.
- Bake for 23 minutes until top is set and dry and the sides have pulled just slightly away from the pan.
- Remove pan from the oven and set on a cooling rack. Immediately insert a wooden tester diagonally into the brownies. The tester will be coated with batter, but not wet. If necessary, bake another minute.
- Cool to room temperature. The middle of the cake will sink as it cools. Once cold you can push the sides down to level the cake if you like. Refrigerate until very cold before cutting into squares.
Recipe courtesy of Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan.