Fruity Multigrain Waffles
- Yield 5 servings
Chopped fruit tops these multigrain waffles made with leftover cooked oats and whole-wheat flour.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 1-percent milk
- 1/2 cup cooked oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey, for batter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pinapple and banana, per serving
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, per serving
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, oats, eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla into the oat mixture; mix until moistened.
- Preheat waffle iron, and lightly coat with oil or cooking spray.
- Put enough batter to cover three-fourths of the waffle iron surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8 x 8-inch waffle iron.)
- Close waffle iron. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until waffles are golden and crisp.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Top with chopped fruit and pistachios.
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Kids