Fruity Couscous Salad
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
Cranberries, carrots, cucumbers and almonds dress up plain couscous.
- 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries or dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Bring broth to boil in medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Uncover; let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked couscous, dried fruit, carrots, cucumber, green onions and pine nuts in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil and mustard in small bowl; mix well. Pour over couscous mixture; mix well. Season to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).