Fruity Couscous Salad
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
Cranberries, carrots, cucumbers and almonds dress up plain couscous.
- 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries or dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Boil broth in a medium saucepan then stir in couscous. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes (covered) until fluffing with a fork. Let stand an additional 10 minutes (uncovered).
- Toss couscous with dried fruit, carrots, cucumber, green onions and pine nuts.
- Whisk vinegar, olive oil and mustard in a small bowl. Pour of salad and toss, then refrigerate or serve at room temperature