Fruity Cereal Treats
- Yield 12 servings
Cheerios replace Rice Krispies, and dried fruit and nuts debut in this take on the Rice Krispie treat.
Dried fruits are packed with fiber and antioxidants; just 1/4 cup of dried fruit equals a full serving of fruit.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups whole-grain O-shaped oat cereal
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit such as raisins, prunes, tart cherries and apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped, roasted lightly salted peanuts
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until marshmallows are melted, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly stir in cereal, fruit and peanuts.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and, using wet hands, quickly press evenly into pan until firm.