Fruity Breakfast Cookie
- Yield 2
This breakfast cookie is densely packed with fiber, omega 3s, protein, iron and taste.
You’ll be supermom when you send your kids to the bus stop with these nutrition packed cookies. Oats for fiber, flaxseeds and walnuts for omega-3s, dried fruit for antioxidants, and carbohydrates for energy will keep their brains working faster than a speeding train.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots or dried plums
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine butter, sugars, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Stir in oats, flaxseed meal, whole-wheat flour and 1 cup self-rising flour. Add additional self-rising flour in ¼ cup increments if dough is still sticky. Stir in fruits and nuts until well combined.
- Scoop dough onto a baking sheet, using a 1-ounce (2-tablespoon) scoop. Bake 10 to 13 minutes, until cookies are puffy and light tan. Be careful not to overbake. The centers will be a bit doughy and dense. Makes 2 dozen.