- Yield 8
A fun twist on traditional fruitcake.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 32 ounces pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package candied pineapple chunks
- 1 cup candied cherries
- 4 ounces almonds or walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup Brazil nuts, chopped
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- Beat the sugar, margarine and eggs in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally. Stir in the flour mixture until blended. Add the dates, pineapple, cherries, almonds and Brazil nuts and mix well.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown around the edges.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove to a wire rack to cool. completely.
NOTE: One pound unshelled nuts equals one cup chopped shelled nuts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Buffalo, Great Lake Effects, Buffalo Beyond Winter and Wings (The Junior League of Buffalo, Inc., 1997)