Frosty Strawberry Squares
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
This is a delicious summer time dessert.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 -- egg whites, beaten but not stiff
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- -- Fresh whole berries for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, nuts and butter. Mix well until crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture in an ungreased 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool thoroughly. Remove about 1/3 of crumbs for garnish; spread remainder evenly in pan.
- In a very large bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, berries and lemon juice. Using an electric mixer, beat at high speed to stiff peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spoon over nut mixture. Top with remaining nut mixture.
- Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 20 minutes before serving. While still partially frozen, cut into squares. Garnish with fresh whole berries.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s For Goodness Taste (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., Rochester, NY, 1991).