Frites with Garlic and Tarragon
- Yield 2 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Oven-baked and crispy, these French "fries" make a great side for fish or steak.
Oven-baked at high heat results in wonderful, crispy frites with far less oil. Serve with Remoulade for dipping.
- 1 large russet potato (about 12 ounces), unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut potato into 3/8-inch slices; cut slices into thirds or fourths lengthwise. Fill a large bowl with very hot tap water, add potatoes, and soak 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and place on paper towels; dry thoroughly. Rinse and dry bowl. Add potatoes, garlic and oil to bowl; toss to combine. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet; bake 20 minutes. Toss or stir, and bake until potatoes are thoroughly cooked and deep gold, about 10 minutes more. Combine salt, sugar and herbs. Sprinkle over potatoes and toss or stir.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish, Feb. 2011.