- Yield 16 servings
A sweet vanilla bread is drizzled with icing.
Some years ago, a neighbor presented me with a loaf of Amish Friendship Bread, the recipe, and "starter" dough with wich I could subsequently bake my own. When I ran out of starter, I concocted this recipe and have baked dozens of loaves for delighted friends and neighbors.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup chopped black walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add flour, milk, soda, pudding, baking powder, and walnuts, if desired. Mix well.
- Grease 2 large loaf pans and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour in bread mixture and sprinkle any leftover sugar mixture on top. Bake for 1 hour.
Recipe by Jim Evans, Kensington, Md.