Fried Habanero Salsa
NOTE: Habaneros are HOT! To protect yourself, wear rubber gloves and work on a cutting board. Don’t touch your eyes and face unless you want to run around the kitchen wincing in pain.
- 2 habaneros, deseeded and tops removed
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4cup tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the oil, and once the oil has heated up, add the habaneros. Fry for about 15 seconds a side, turning with tongs, until golden brown. Set aside and remove the habaneros to a mortar and pestle, reserving the oil.
- Add the tomato, salt, and pepper to the mortar and pestle and grind together until a loose paste forms. Add a few teaspoons of the fry oil and the lemon juice, and mash together again. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Tasting Note: You should taste everything as you cook, so make sure to taste your salsa with a tortilla chip. You want to make sure you have the right balance of seasoning, so trying it with a tortilla chip will give you a more accurate idea.