Fried Egg Sandwich With Spinach, Mushrooms, Onions and Gouda
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1small onion, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup whole milk
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1pinch cayenne
- 1cup Wisconsin Aged Gouda cheese, grated
- 1medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 8ounces sliced mushrooms
- 5ounces baby spinach leaves
- 12 eggs
- 12slices whole grain bread, toasted
- Mornay Sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in medium saucepan. Add diced onion, salt and pepper. Sweat the onions on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until they are translucent. Add flour and stir to form a paste. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Stir in nutmeg and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat; set sauce aside to cool.
- Vegetables: Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large sauté pan. Add sliced sweet onion; cook over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in salt and pepper to taste and mushrooms; cook about 2 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Final Preparation: For each sandwich, fry 2 eggs to desired doneness. Spread a generous tablespoon of the sauce on each of 2 slices of toast. Top each with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the vegetables. Place the cooked eggs over vegetables on one slice and flip the other slice on top of eggs. Serve immediately.